Tuesday 22 May 2012

Grapevine #4 -- Caterpillar Infestation

Today I noticed that my Concord grapevine was infested with caterpillars.

What caught my attention were leaves that were obviously munched on.  After quick investigation I found many dozens of small leaves that were curled up and 'stuck' together (Picture 1) with a web-like material.  When I opened up the nest of leaves I found a single, 1 cm long, fuzzy green caterpillar and lots of black specs which could be feces or eggs but I'm not sure.  The second picture below shows a caterpillar at the end of my thumb.  The form of their nests reminds me of a tent caterpillar but I'm not sure what these ones are.

I immediately hit them hard with an insect-repellent soap solution.  This took a while since I opened up each nest and drowned the buggers.  I hope a couple of applications will do the trick as this will be quite labour intensive.

Please post a comment if you know what these things are and if I should do more than spray with a soap solution in order to prevent further damage.





No comments:

Post a Comment